The Importance of Hydration
The importance of hydration
Staying hydrated throughout the day impacts our lives, it is not just a basic means to our survival. Here are the top four reasons to making sure you drink more water and hydrate your body every day.
- Improved Brain Function – proper hydration helps improve cognitive functions. According to studies at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, it takes only 1 to 2 percent reduction in body water to impair cognitive performance. This is crucial for all of us – students at all ages, employees, business owners and athletes who constantly seek ways to stay ahead, be sharp and focused. The secret is as simple as keeping a bottle of water by your side throughout the day.
- Skin Elasticity – Skin is made up of three layers. According to the Mayo Clinic, If the outermost layer of the epidermis does not contain enough water, skin will lose elasticity. Although there are number of factors impacting wrinkles and other signs of aging, drinking enough water everyday can help prevent dry skin (especially in winter) and ensure your skin is as elastic as it can be at all times.
- Increased Energy – The Natural Hydration Council found that one of every 10 consultations for tiredness and fatigue could be attributed to dehydration. The key to a more energized day starts with a balanced consumption of water. Weather it comes from the liquid water only or a combination of food and liquid water sources does not matter, as long as you drink enough water.
- Muscle Recovery – Drinking water helps flush out toxins from our bodies and prevent dehydration, which can make muscle soreness even more painful, hence prolonging your recovery time between workouts. Drinking enough water can prevent these type of situations and keep you going about your normal routine.
After we established that staying hydrated is important, here are few helpful tips to avoid dehydration:
- Do not let yourself feel thirsty
- Check your urine color – the darker it is, the more dehydrated you are
- Always keep a bottle of water by your side
Choose high water content foods such as fruits and vegetables